Saturday, December 14, 2019

Reflection 2019: Antidote

Altitude Therapy

When I began to reflect on 2019, considerations of 2018 invariably came to mind. In many ways, I conducted my flights in 2019 as a reaction to what happened in the prior year. 2018 was personally difficult and those challenges were reflected in the nature of the flying I did. For example, I spent 67 hours of my total flight time in 2018 commuting between New York and Michigan, often alone, while managing both the technical demands of making those flights and the gravity of the reason underlying them. Though I logged a high number of hours in 2018, the flying did little to satisfy my love of visiting new places. I only explored three new airports in 2018.

I wanted 2019 to be the antidote to 2018. My goal was to visit new places and spend more time flying with others, either with passengers in my airplane or flying as one of several airplanes bound for a shared destination.

I think I succeeded in that goal.

Milestones

I crossed a few milestones in 2019:
  • 50 hours in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC)
  • 200 airports visited
  • 2000 flight hours flown, completing a second kilohour

The Numbers


166.1: Number of hours flown in 2019, my highest accumulated in a single year ever.

2070.1: Accumulated total number of flight hours since my first introductory flight out of Duncan Aviation in Kalamazoo, MI.

39: Number of different airports visited in 2019 for a cumulative total of 201.

14: Number of new airports visited in 2019:
33: Number of flights conducted with members of the Williamson Flying Club, mostly including excursions organized by the Activities Committee that I chair. This included about 26 flights for breakfast, lunch, or dinner plus 7 destination flights (we had some great destination flights this year including Manhattan, Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, and the Lycoming engine factory).

12: Number of states visited in 2019. Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Tennessee, and West Virginia. To my disappointment, this did not include any new states or provinces. Delaware remains elusive.

42: Number of people who flew with me in 2019. Thanks to Kristy, The Bear, Tom C, Ed C (safety pilot), Tom M, Armelle and Madalenn F, Joe P, Bogdan U, Dave P (safety pilot), Scott L, Kim O, Jamie O, Tony A, Eric M, Mike M, Mike H, Pam B, Nate V, Fiona E, Terry B, Brad R, Natalie R, Dave H, Paula S, Dan A (CFI for flight review), and the sixteen people who flew with me in N9855W at the Williamson Apple Blossom Festival Pancake Breakfast (one of whom was Sadie E, a friend's daughter).

42.4: Number of mostly wonderful hours flown with The Bear and/or Kristy in Warrior 481. I say "mostly" because there was that moment when The Bear got cranky with me and there was much scowling and pummeling of my seat. Using the Warrior for family vacation trips accounted for 26.2% of my total flying time in 2019.

The Highlights
I think it is safe to say that it was a full year of flying and very much an antidote to 2018.

The Photographs

My favorite shots of 2019.

Sunset over the St Lawrence River.
("Frozen Heart")

Power house for Boldt Castle surrounded by the frozen St Lawrence River near Alexandria Bay, NY.
 ("Frozen Heart")



Williamson Sodus Airport trapped under clouds, photographed from the Widgeon.
("Welcome to 1946")

Lee's Piper Colt at Whitford's during a breakfast run.
("Field Trip")

I just like this photo of Warrior 481 outside of my hangar.
("An Awe-Ja-Magic Kind of Morning")

Sunset over the east end of Lake Ontario at the mouth of the St Lawrence River.
("Better Living Through Aerodynamics")

Mouth of the St Clair River in Lake St Clair near Detroit.
("The Chicago Bear: Outbound")

Warrior 481 with club planes Eight Five X-Ray and Six Echo Sierra lined up at the fuel farm after a fly-out.
("Social Flying Scrapbook")

A third sunset over the St Lawrence River and the Thousand Islands.
("Life: Unplugged")

WWI-era Curtiss Jenny in flight over Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome.
("Jurassic Airpark")

Dodging an unusual cloud formation on departure from the Williamson Sodus Airport for New York City.
("These Vagabond Wings Are Longing To Stray")



Magnificent lower Manhattan. This is my favorite photo of the year.
("These Vagabond Wings Are Longing To Stray")

Twilight over Sodus Bay.
("Sunset over Sodus Bay")

Whiteface Mountain photographed on departure from Lake Placid, NY.
("Olympic Autumn")

The Jersey Halo.
("Jersey Halo")

Valley fog somewhere over southern New York.
("Autumn Aesthetic")

The town of Williamson under the fog.
("Lobstah in Bah Hahbah")

The Williamson Sodus Airport under the fog.
("Lobstah in Bah Hahbah")

Fog in the Green Mountains of Vermont.
("Lobstah in Bah Hahbah")

Morning fog at the Williamson Sodus Airport.
("Fog Delay")

Downtown Rochester, NY at night.
("Silent Night")

The Video

I do not normally take video, but I love this video of our landing at Alton Bay that Jamie recorded and I edited. The annual review would not have been complete without including it. Thanks, Jamie!


3 comments:

  1. Amazing flight times for 2019!! Congrats on checking off the milestones, especially the IMC time. Flying out with the clubs really keeps one motivated to drag the plane out, I hope I am as motivated to get back into the revived North East Flyers. As always I think your photo work is fantastic, I know I always appreciate what you capture and share.

    Good luck in 2020 and YES no more talk of meeting up, we need to schedule it and make it happen. I hope you check Delaware off your list this year too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gary. It was definitely a good year, but I don’t think that it was quite so transformative as yours. With the Northeast Flyers back up and going, I suspect that we’ll have a few opportunities to catch up! I’m really looking forward to checking out 3TC!

      Delete
    2. As for Delaware, I’m open to suggestion.

      Delete