Saturday, May 18, 2019

Field Trip

Date Aircraft Route of Flight Time (hrs) Total (hrs)
18 May 2019 N21481 SDC (Sodus, NY) - FZY (Fulton, NY) - B16 (Weedsport, NY) - SDC 1.5 1948.8

On a gorgeous Saturday morning, the Breakfast Club returned to Whitfords Airport (B16, Weedsport, NY) for more of John's cooking. As before, I flew an extended "delaying vector" to the Oswego County Airport so that I arrived on the tail end of the other six ships that departed Sodus that morning.



Spring finally arrived in Upstate New York and the grass was lush and gloriously green. All of the cool kids parked on grass somehow made more appealing by a smattering of dandelions. I envied them their glorious field.


But because I was the last one in, there was no room for me on the grass. So I parked on Whitford's small ramp like a significantly less cool kid.


This single-seat, two cylinder experimental ship lives in the T-hangar bay behind mine. Two or four cylinders, tube-and-rag or all-metal, tail dragger or nose dragger, certified or experimental - our WFC fleet for the morning covered all of the requisite bases.


There were pilots and aircraft from other airports as well, including the cool Stearman from Penn Yan.

Denny, Lee, Mike, me, Alan, Mick, Paula, and Mike (l-r)

As always, John whipped up a terrific breakfast for us, fast and delicious. The fast part was important because we all had business back at the Williamson Sodus Airport at 9:30 that morning. We were on deck to help set up for the next day's annual Apple Blossom Fly-In breakfast.


I think I drove Mick crazy every time I referred to his speedy Sparrowhawk-conversion Cessna 152 II as a "150". His bird is most certainly not the same sort of C-150 that I flew in my original training.



This Piper Colt is the "honorary tail dragger" of the Williamson Sodus Airport.



Back at Sodus, the fuel pump enjoyed some brisk business. Hey, airplanes have to eat, too.

2 comments:

  1. The single-seat, two cylinder experimental reminds me of the cri-cri that used to attend the Wings Fly-B-Q.

    https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JD8tvb3xEXU/S_LQEy3B_EI/AAAAAAAAEkM/TVCx5ehKFEk/s1600/cri+cri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I have thought the same, though I've never seen a Cri-Cri in person.

      Delete