Favorite flying trips
An Aerial Road Trip to Fort Myers (Or, How Kristy Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Airplane), June 2005
- My wife takes her first, multi-state cross country flight by general aviation and actually enjoys it. It was a big step for us both.
Rocky Mountain Dawn Patrol, May 2008
- Mountain flying and a landing at the highest elevation public airport in the USA.
Skyscrapers in the Mist, August 2008
- Voyage through the Hudson River VFR corridor.
- Kristy and I flew to Mackinac Island (and other places) for our anniversary.
- Family flight to Luray Caverns in Virginia.
- A flight from New York to Florida and back again with Kristy and The Bear.
- Solo day trip at the 1000 hour mark to visit the Wright Brothers memorial in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
- The Bear flies to Michigan and visits the Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinac Island, and other places.
- Landing at First Flight Airport with the family.
- Visit to historic Fort Ticonderoga with the family.
America's Castles - Part II: Return to Heart Island, August 2014
- Family flight to visit Boldt Castle on Heart Island
- Landing on the only FAA-certified ice runway in the continental United States.
- Kristy and I fly to Boston in some weather, experiment with Uber, and see John Williams conduct the Boston Pops.
Billy Bishop's Alternate Universe, Part 1, May 2017
- We make our first international flight to Toronto, Ontario.
Flight to Totality, August 2017
- Family flight to Copperhill, TN for viewing the total eclipse
Expedition to the Outer Lands, October 2017
- Solo flight to Block Island
Ice Runway Pilots, February 2018
- A return to Alton Bay with Ed C
Tales of the Flying Bear:
The Flying Bear, August 2007
- The manifold challenges of flying cross country with a two month old infant.
Knoxville...Deferred, April 2009
- General aviation: bringing families together since December 17, 1903 (roughly).
New Copilot, July 2011
- The Bear rides shotgun for the first time.
Whirly Bear, May 2012
- The Bear flies in a helicopter for the first time.
- Clear the skies, five year old at the controls!
- The Bear gets more comfortable at the controls.
- The Bear and I returned to Luray and stopped for incredible brunch at Latrobe.
- The Bear lands on grass for the first time in Basin Harbor, VT.
Bear Versus Airplane, December 2018
- A return to form for The Bear
"One Peculiar Passing Moment":
Milestones and noteworthy experiences
Landing Blind, September 2001
- First solo in a Cessna 150 (N9327U) at Dowagiac, MI.
Mishaps at Muskegon: Student Pilot Solo Cross Country Flight, July 2002
- Set loose, alone, in southwest Michigan skies. Learning ensued.
Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad, DPE?, September 2002
- Angst and the private pilot check ride.
From Renter to Owner, April 2004
- Best phone call I ever made: "Hi Dad! Guess what? I just bought an airplane."
Mile High Soaring: A Not-So-Eerie Silence, July 2012
- First flight in a glider.
- How I came into the world of flying.
- My first serious flying in real world weather and possibly my best ever flying lesson.
With One Eye Tied Behind My Back: Instrument Check Ride (Part 2), July 2013
- Overcoming a check ride bust to earn my instrument rating.
- A serious introduction to IFR re-routes and weather deviations on a family trip.
Here There Be Monsters, June 2016
- My first time ever truly frightened while at the controls of the airplane.
Dragging Tail, June 2017
- Earning a tailwheel endorsement in a J-3 Cub
The Human Chain: How Dougall Got His Wings, August 2018
- Our first animal rescue flight
Thirsty, September 2018
- Excessive fuel burn nearly became an emergency
Goodbye, Air Zoo, January 2006 and "Someone Told Me It's All Happening at the Zoo," September 2013.
- Some museums feel just like home (because they are).
Time Travel (Golden Age Air Museum), May 2009
- A trip back in time to a grass strip populated with 1930's era airplanes. See also: Flying the Spectrum, July 2016.
Bradley International and the New England Air Museum, March 2010
- Nothing quite like a schizophrenic ATIS to enliven a trip to see old airplanes.
Republic, March 2011
- Visit to the American Air Power Museum in Farmingdale, NY.
Escape to Lock Haven, January 2013
- A rare winter sojourn out of the local area.
Flight to the Tattered Coast and the Owl's Head Transportation Museum, October 2014
- First flight to Maine
A New York Piper in Beechcraft's Tennessee Court, August 2017
- Visit to the Beechcraft Heritage Museum and my first flight with Dad
Essays and Commentary:
All Shook Up, September 2004
- How I learned that my aircraft malfunction troubleshooting skills could use some work.
The Second Breather, April 2006
- Engine issues on a cross country flight. To fly, or not to fly...
Stupid Pilot Tricks, August 2009
- Good habits can still save the day when complacency sets in.
Carpe Diem, January 2010
- All kids should fly an airplane before driving a car...there's less to hit up there.
- It's the weather over Upstate NY that you have to watch out for...
- A masterful air traffic controller saves the day for a novice pilot.
- How I came to be based at the birthplace of Jell-O.
- On being a pilot and father on 9/11.
- On the bond between pilot and aircraft.
- Reincarnation is real, at least for airplanes.
- Aeronautical decision making is not a one size fits all proposition.
- Making peace with the community whenever possible.
- Difficult lessons are sometimes the best lessons.
- On the love/hate relationship I have had with the radio.