Sunday, April 11, 2004

Worship

Date Aircraft Route of Flight Time (hrs) Total (hrs)
11 Apr 2004 N21481 0D1 (South Haven, MI), local flight 1.0 179.6


Easter Sunday 2004, at the controls of my new (to me) airplane.  I entered a climbing spiral, twisting upward through a hole in the layer of scattered clouds.  It was my first time solo above the clouds.  Upon leveling off at 5500 feet, I was treated to the sight of Dave in Decathlon 68W performing a loop several miles away.

Once he was done showing-off, Dave fell into formation off my left wing for a few moments before peeling off to refuel (above).

This is one of my favorite photos; the dichotomy of a frozen instant in time that nevertheless conveys energy and motion.  Lucky shot, given digital camera shutter lag.  It was a memorable tribute to the fundamental physics of flight under the vast arched cathedral of the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment