Sunday, May 19, 2013

Apple Blossom Time

Date Aircraft Route of Flight Time (hrs) Total (hrs)
19 May 2013 N21481 5G0 (LeRoy, NY) - SDC (Sodus, NY) - 5G0 1.5 1149.7

It's Apple Blossom Fly-In time again!


Kent and his daughter joined The Bear and me on our annual quest for pancakes.

We were not disappointed in our quest.  It's my understanding that the eight pancakes we consumed between the four of us were a minuscule part of the 1900+ breakfasts served.  Plus, it's always fun to see my friends from Williamson.  I was pleasantly surprised to be recognized and greeted by a reader of the blog.  That is not a common occurrence, but it is always nice to hear that someone else (besides me) gets something out of the blog!  Good luck wrapping up that instrument rating, we both need it!

I also ran into a friend from work who asked if we had flown in.  When I answered in the affirmative, he turned to his wife and said, "see?  He DID drive all the way to Le Roy just to fly all the way back here for breakfast."  His wife, a local college professor for whom I have given some guest lectures in the past, looked at me like I was crazy.

"It's not about getting to breakfast," I explained.  "It's about having an excuse to fly somewhere."  She accepted this explanation, but I still suspect she thinks I'm crazy.

Stuffed with pancakes, sausage, and Mott's apple juice, we looked at airplanes, listened to the live band, and played with the little $1 helicopters (rotors on a stick) being sold.  The Bear was entertained with that for much of the remainder of the day; it was the best $1 I've ever spent.  At one point, I launched The Bear's helicopter and it landed on the fabric covered wing of a Taylorcraft L-2.

For the record, there was no harm done.  Regardless, please don't tell anyone.


Cruising westbound along Lake Ontario, Kent assumed flying duties while I snapped some photos of landmarks along the way.  First was the fishing pier in Webster Park, one of The Bear's favorite places to visit after a hike in the woods (and a nice vantage point for sunset viewing).


As we crossed over the Port of Rochester, we turned southbound toward Le Roy.  Kent got to put his dormant piloting skills to the test in the turbulence and held us within 100 feet of our target altitude.


Back at Le Roy, we played with the helicopters some more and chatted with Ray and Phil.  During that time, the girls decorated my car and themselves.

Just another fun day at the airport!

3 comments:

  1. "'He DID drive all the way to Le Roy just to fly all the way back here for breakfast.' His wife, a local college professor for whom I have given some guest lectures in the past, looked at me like I was crazy."

    That's private pilot general aviation in a nutshell, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...maybe I should have mentioned that I used to drive 45 minutes to South Haven to fly into Kalamazoo and give tours at the Air Zoo (about a ten minute drive from my house).

      Delete
    2. Love it.

      I mean, we live 1 mile from MGY and I drive 15-20 minutes to Stewart, then spend 15-20 minutes getting the plane ready, then fly 10 minutes... to MGY. Sometimes, at least.

      Delete