IFR Days Sound Different
The primary purpose of air traffic control is to keep airplanes from running into each other. Few scenarios exemplify this quite like New York airspace on an IFR day.
| Date | Aircraft | Route of Flight | Time (hrs) | Total (hrs) |
| 30 Aug 2026 | N21481 | CDW (Caldwell, NJ) - BKL (Cleveland, OH) | 4.1 | 3232.4 |
Even on "clear and a million" VFR days, radio transmissions from New York Approach are necessarily more intense than other places I regularly fly. The patter is rapid and delivered with a no-nonsense, unmistakably New York attitude by highly skilled controllers who expect competence from pilots in their airspace. But on IMC days, the character of those transmissions becomes even more taut, a continuous stream of directives to aircraft blindly navigating the densely populated airspace.
"Aircraft 123, heading 160.
Aircraft 456, left 180.
Aircraft 789, 20 degrees right vector for traffic..."
Et cetera.
Without chitchat or wasted syllables, ATC instructions are answered with terse pilot acknowledgements. Radio communications in New York airspace on IMC days are as brusquely down to business as it gets.
![]() |
| Warrior 481 on the Essex County ramp prior to take off. Just look at that ceiling. |
We departed Essex County Airport in Caldwell, NJ on an IFR flight plan into a marginal VFR overcast of 2400 feet. Before entering the bases, Caldwell Tower handed us off to New York Approach and we joined the frenetic menagerie of aircraft sightlessly weaving disparate paths through the clouds under control from the ATC hive mind.
We were given multiple vectors en route to the Solberg VOR (SBJ) while climbing blind through the clouds, only indirectly aware of the traffic density around us through the number of cyan avatars on the traffic display and continuous chatter on the frequency for the sector we transited.
"November One Two Three, fly heading 330, intercept Victor Two Five Two."
I flew my airplane inside the "ping pong ball" as a steady stream of instructions were beamed out from New York Approach. Beyond the Plexiglas, a uniform beige sameness seemed to press against the airplane. Blind to the traffic, I needed to trust ATC, follow directions issued to me accurately, and rely on all of the other participating pilots to do the same.
"November One Two Three, fly heading 330, intercept Victor Two Five Two."
Didn't I already hear that instruction? I was not completely certain. A lot of chatter flowed through my headset that I largely ignored unless I heard my own callsign used.
The shift in the controller's tone was hardly subtle. "Hey, November One Two Three, what's going on with you? I've tried calling you twice already. You are about to hit someone. Please turn..." The controller paused to think and I imagined him staring intently at his screen. "Turn 350. Now." The "now" came with verbal underlining, but what was even more striking about the controller's transmission was the number of words he used to get his point across. For a New York Approach controller, it was a dissertation and it took time away from him working other airplanes.
I can think of few things scarier than being blind in the clouds with another nearby aircraft unable or unwilling to follow directions.
The controller must have been operating on two separate frequencies because I could only hear his side of the conversation. Presumably, "November One Two Three" (not his real callsign) was broadcasting on a different frequency than what I had tuned.
"Your autopilot? Yeah, right," responded New York Approach to a transmitted excuse that I could not hear. His contempt boiled beneath a decidedly thin veil of professionalism.
Not one to misdirect his ire, the controller's tone reverted to neutral as he issued a series of perfunctory turns and vectors to other aircraft. Eventually, the errant pilot finally got himself pointed in the right direction.
New York Approach called the troublemaker one last time to hand him off to the next sector, but added a stern lecture. "November One Two Three, the next time your autopilot does something you don't expect, shut it off and hand fly it. If you're going to fly IFR in this airspace, you need to do better."
I have spent the last 20+ years as a pilot striving to ensure that ATC never has to lecture me like that.
![]() |
| Safely arrived at Burke Lakefront in Cleveland, OH after bucking a headwind through clouds and rain. |


No comments:
Post a Comment