Monday, April 19, 2010

An Evening with Darrell

Date Aircraft Route of Flight Time (hrs) Total (hrs)
19 Apr 2010 N21481 5G0 (LeRoy, NY) - local flight 0.9 804.4

After work, I drove to the airport for a relaxing evening flight.  My "hangar neighbor", Darrell, had the same idea and we decided that it would be nice to take some in-flight photos of his airplane.


For the first time in nearly five years, I was on an air-to-air frequency talking to another airplane flying close to mine.  And it's a good looking airplane, too.  For a Cessna.  :-)

 
As the sun began to set, the airplane took on a warm red blush and the clouds dimmed to gray streaks across the darkening sky.


Eventually, Darrell pulled ahead and we rolled to separate headings.  My final landing back at the airport was so gentle that I even impressed myself.  As my own worst critic, that does not happen very often.

With the airplanes put away, actual and "hangar" flying done for the evening, Darrell and I stood on the dark ramp looking at runway lights glowing invitingly under a star-filled sky.  For a long time, I have felt like a newcomer to the Le Roy Airport.  But sometime over the last 4.5 years, the realization that Le Roy was "home" somehow snuck up on me when I wasn't looking.

As though reading my thoughts, Darrell broke the silence.  "This is such a great airport."

I could only agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment