Saturday, August 11, 2018

Airport Day at Fuzzy

Date Aircraft Route of Flight Time (hrs) Total (hrs)
11 Aug 2018 N21481 SDC (Sodus, NY) - FZY (Fulton, NY) - SDC 1.2 1835.4

Those who manage the nearby Oswego County Airport decided that they needed to stand up and be recognized by their community. To that end, they organized Airport Day on August 11 with invitations for the public to see and experience what the county airport has to offer. Offerings included Young Eagles rides, helicopter rides, drone demonstrations, aircraft on display, and a barbecue lunch provided by the the Tailwinds Diner.

After all of the serious flying I had been doing since June, it seemed like a great opportunity to gather some friends from the Williamson Flying Club and bask in the simple joys of aviation for part of a day.


I was joined in the Warrior by Max, one of Kristy's high school band students and a student pilot learning to fly with the club, and Lesly, a rusty pilot getting back into aviation.


Lesly and Max bonded after their harrowing flight experience with me.

OK, it wasn't really harrowing. It was probably a little boring. Can people bond over shared boredom?


It was my first time flying with Max since October 2016 when I gave him and his mom their first ride in a light aircraft. I'm pretty sure he's taller now.


With such confident poses, clearly these guys know what they're doing. At least the one on the left does. I'm still dubious about the one of the right.


Noticing Lee's arrival in the Colt, we waited on the ramp for him. From a casual count, about ten aircraft and sixteen WFC members made the short flight from the Williamson Sodus Airport to Oswego County that morning for the festivities.


Lee brought an enthusiastic copilot with him that morning.


A portion of the WFC fleet in attendance: Eight Five X-Ray, Warrior Four Eight One, and Colt Seven Zero Zulu.


Scott and his daughter were well fed and ready for a nap. Or, at least one of them was. The other was simply in denial.


The Tailwinds Diner did such a good job with the barbecue chicken that these WFC members devoured theirs! After lunch, we explored the airport to see the aircraft on display.


The first one to really catch my eye was this beautiful Globe Swift.



To be honest, my arms and shoulders ache just looking at the polished aluminum skin of this beauty.



Lesly selected this Pilatus as his next (yeah, OK, first) airplane. Why start small?



This L-29 Delfin is a Czech-built military trainer. It is locally owned and based at the Oswego County Airport.


Finally, I was very taken by this striking vintage Beech Bonanza.

Between ice cream, barbecue, cool airplanes, and great company, I would say that Airport Day was a success! But of course, I am already an enthusiastic member of the choir; no need to preach to me. I sincerely hope that the general public had as much fun at Airport Day as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment