Out of Sorts
After earning my tailwheel endorsement, I made preparations to depart the Aeroflex-Andover Airport for home. I had checked out of the Wooden Duck and returned the rental car early that morning. The airplane was already packed. I filed an IFR flight plan from Andover to Sodus with an anticipated 5:00 pm departure. Forecasts indicated some possibility for thunderstorm activity that was anticipated to be done by early evening (blunt foreshadowing: it wasn't).
I unlocked the door to the Warrior and slid inside with a practiced ease that was entirely unlike my ungainly entries to the Cub. Despite this comfortable familiarity, everything felt wrong as I settled into the left seat. I was sitting up too high with incredible visibility, like sitting in the bubble canopy of a D-model Mustang. Compared to the Cub, the cabin seemed too roomy; Warrior 481 was a Cadillac.
After engine start, she rolled docilely in whatever direction I prompted, making no effort to test my attention on taxi. S-turns were entirely unnecessary. I was utterly amazed at how a mere seven hours in a vintage Piper Cub could make the familiar Warrior seem so foreign and trivial to operate.
|Date||Aircraft||Route of Flight||Time (hrs)||Total (hrs)|
|15 Jun 2017||N21481||12N (Andover, NJ) - FZY (Fulton, NY)||1.6||1653.2|
New York Approach has a phone number listed in the Chart Supplement (former A/FD) for obtaining IFR clearance on the ground at Andover. With good VFR conditions in New Jersey, I decided to contact New York Approach for clearance once airborne rather than risk an extended wait for IFR release.
As it turned out, that was a terrible plan.
Climbing away from Aeroflex-Andover, I tuned New York Approach and listened to a steady stream of communications with no opportunity to say anything, let alone request clearance. I climbed to a VFR cruise altitude of 4500' and decided to ask for clearance at the next facility.
On the emergency frequency, the captain of an airliner bound for Newark broadcast his final descent and tray table disposition announcement to all aircraft within line of sight. Yeah, that never gets old. His broadcast was answered by a chorus of "on guard!" delivered by a series of silly voices that were punctuated with "nice announcement!" It is reassuring to know that the sky is so full of professionals.
The next facility was Wilkes-Barre and I planned to contact them for clearance once over Cherry Ridge Airport. To my surprise, the approach controller at Wilkes-Barre was managing a lot of traffic as well. As I listened, I also discovered that the controller was a trainee. At one point, he provided a frequency for New York Approach to an airliner. He evidently got the numbers wrong because, before he released his mic, everyone on frequency heard his trainer shriek (and I do mean shriek) the correct frequency at him. Twice. That must have been a fun training relationship.
Hmmm...maybe I don't want to trouble Wilkes-Barre Approach with my request for clearance, either.
As I continued along, I was eyeing the height of the cloud deck. It appeared that I would need to fly either through or just above Binghamton's airspace. I contacted them from 20 miles south and requested flight following.
Via ADS-B, ForeFlight depicted a line of thunderstorms and heavy precipitation arrayed along a stationary front extending from Rochester and Sodus south-southwest across Pennsylvania. It was a veritable wall in the sky and there would be no getting into Sodus anytime soon. Nor would any of my old haunts be reachable: Dansville, Le Roy, Canandaigua, Genesee County, or even Rochester. I chose to divert east to the Oswego County Airport (FZY) and wait for the storms to either dissipate or pass overhead.
I arrived at Oswego ahead of the rain around 6:00 pm, landed in a brisk southeasterly wind, and tied Warrior 481 down on the ramp in the event that the winds kicked up even more as the weather advanced.
I had not eaten since noon and was already tired from a rigorous training session with Damian that culminated in a series of the most extreme simulated engine out landings that I had ever managed. I ate peanuts from my flight bag, monitored the weather radar, and called my Dad to catch up with him while I waited for a break in the weather.
Years ago, Kristy and I were stranded by weather on a flying trip to Michigan. She asked me if an instrument rating would have helped us get home. I answered in the negative; we were stranded by thunderstorms and going IFR would not have been wise. Now, I was an instrument rated pilot living that exact scenario.
The weather picture remained ugly for the better part of three hours. Around 9:00, I was becoming extremely hungry and I knew that I needed to make a decision. I imagined that I could sleep in the comfortable leather recliners of the FBO if need be, but there still would not be any food available to me in the morning. The stationary front, true to form, was not going anywhere, but with dwindling sunlight, the energy of the storm was dissipating. The yellow and red returns on the radar reverted to green with both Sodus and Oswego Country airports going VFR. Oswego's version of VFR was lousy; eight miles visibility in rain with a 3,000 foot ceiling just after sunset. Lousy, but perfectly workable.
|Date||Aircraft||Route of Flight||Time (hrs)||Total (hrs)|
|15 Jun 2017||N21481||FZY (Fulton, NY) - SDC (Sodus, NY)||0.5||1653.7|
I saw my chance and took it. I filed an IFR flight plan from Oswego County to Sodus with a departure at 9:30. It was my first flight in the dark in a few months. Climbing away from the airport, conditions in the direction of home looked particularly non-VFR. I contacted Syracuse Approach at 1500 feet over Oswego, received my clearance in the air, and set course for home through the rain and murk.
For much of the route, I found myself in nighttime instrument conditions and engulfed in a gentle rain left in the wake of the storm. The frontal passage was choppy, but not unreasonably or even uncomfortably so. Syracuse passed me to Rochester Approach, who cleared me direct to WALCO, a fix on the RNAV-28 approach into Sodus.
|Radar track provided by FlightAware|
Once established on the approach and beyond the stationary front, the visibility improved dramatically. Tracking the GPS-generated localizer, I cancelled IFR with Rochester and finished the landing into Sodus with a 10+ knot direct crosswind.
Warrior 481 required some TLC because the rain was insufficient to remove many of the bugs picked up on the way to New Jersey a few days earlier. I made it home around 11:00 pm and indulged in a very late dinner.
|The wall of storms as depicted by FlightAware. Clearly, the FAA computer (dashed lines indicating the |
anticipated route) was confused by my filing, but not using, an IFR flight plan.
I did not earn my instrument rating out of a strong desire to fly in instrument conditions for long stretches at a time (though I have). I earned it because I wanted the ability to push through thin ceilings or mild weather preventing safe VFR flight at either the departure or arrival end of a trip. Once the intensity of the weather died down, this example fit the bill exactly, a short hop through mild weather to get home (albeit with the added risk factor of nighttime).
The brief IFR flight tapped a very different skill set than what I'd exercised much earlier that day in flying the Cub at Aeroflex-Andover. It means that my envelope is broader than it once was and that is a very good thing.