Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lunch in Ludington and Lake Michigan Lighthouse Tour

Date Aircraft Route of Flight Time (hrs) Total (hrs)
10 July 2005 N21481 LWA (South Haven, MI) - LDM (Ludington, MI) -LWA 3.0 346.6

I flew Warrior 481 solo northward along the Lake Michigan shoreline for lunch in Ludington.  After lunch, I flew farther north to ogle the lighthouses along Lake Michigan.


A stark black and white lighthouse stands upon sandy Big Sable Point, looking out across the watercolor hues of Lake Michigan.


I descended and circled the distinctive lighthouse, substantial enough to be at home overlooking the sea.




Turning south along the shoreline, I passed the stout pierhead lighthouse at Ludington.




Just south of town is the Ludington Pumped Storage facility.  Essentially, a massive concrete swimming pool filled with Lake Michigan water.  At times of need, the water can be drained from the basin to produce additional electricity.  Today, I was struck by the color variation in the water.  I used some contrast enhancement on this photo, but not much.



Progressing further south, I reached the Little Sable Point lighthouse.


I circled lower around the brick lighthouse, mindful of the many beachgoers below.  It was not my desire for any of them to relive that scene from North by Northwest on my account!


Just inland from Little Sable Point, I observed this interesting labyrinth near Shelby, MI.  With some judicious Google searching, I came to the conclusion that it is located at Cherry Point Vineyards.

I followed the ribbon of sandy beach along Lake Michigan back to South Haven, ending a relaxing flight along the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment